Rustic Simplicity – who are we?
James and Anita Peggie – the people behind the name
Hi – we are a husband and wife team who actually enjoy working together! James is the one who makes the lovely cupboards and I use the offcuts to make all of the smaller stuff. Life is pretty good.
Most days we make the arduous journey from our little wooden cottage to the two sheds at the bottom of the garden where we both work. We light a smoky sawdust fire and the scent of woodsmoke and whisky fills the air. Bob Dylan crooons away in the background and we get on with what we enjoy doing most – changing old, unwanted whisky barrel wood into quirky pieces of furniture and unique Scottish souvenirs.
The raw materials
Getting back to hand made
- Your friends will know that you care. You’ve put a lot of thought into their present, it will mean so much more to them.
- You can rest assured that your gift is unique – it has been hand made with love in Scotland.
- You are helping the environment. Our stuff is made almost totally from recycled materials.
- You are supporting local craftsmen. Moving away from mass produced is a sure way of knowing you are helping small businesses.
Life hasn’t always been this way.
Like most people we’ve done what we had to to get by.
- James did 10 years in a sheet metal shop.
- We have spent 25 years cleaning peoples windows.
- We loved the 4 years we spent feeding Britain’s festivals with our baked potato oven and home made soup!
- I have been a chef
- James has been a tiler
- I have been a nanny
One thing has been proved beyond doubt though – if you work hard and dream big you will always get where you really want to be!
- Fly eagles with our daughter, Roxanne – http://www.elitefalconry.com/
- Go camping in The Whisky Truck – James’ hand crafted campervan
- Enjoy a smoky fire outside
- Get excited about our next project!